Thursday, September 01, 2005

IPTV is here!

IPTV is technology which allows streaming TV content available via the internet. So far, no mainstream broadcasters have featured this, although the BBC are planning trials this month.

However, there already exists a few peer-to-peer programs that allow you to stream live TV shows to your dektop. The only snag is that the content comes from east Asian cable broadcasts, which means that 90% of the channels are in a different language.

This did not deter me so much while I was experimenting yesterday as I was so glad to see this technology working pretty well. The software that I chose to download and install was
www.pplive.com. The site is in Chinese I assume, so make sure you hit the English version and also, switch languages when you have installed the software.

You literally end up with dozens of channels to connect with. Connection does take a few minutes per channel, however, as the software needs to find and download from other peers. Once the software has buffer the stream, your regular media player opens up and play the TV channel...way cool!!!

Some of the better channels in the line-up are: HBO, ESPN, Premership football, Movie Channels and a few random "Unknown" channels.

I managed to watch part of "House of D" and "The Island" yesterday in good quality before my eyes let me down. (Not sure how they got The Island broadcasting on a TV station in Asia, but that's Asia for you I guess!)

Give it a whirl....the download is only ~900kb. I've attached some pics to my moblog for you to see what quality you can expect.

The technology is still in it's infancy and more people are needed to decrease waiting times between switching channels.

+nicks

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://yyaeaysu.com/bwty/tovm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://neivaakn.com/eook/kyte.html]Cool site[/url]

2:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

2:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://yyaeaysu.com/bwty/tovm.html | http://nihoieeo.com/suya/xpur.html

2:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home